The Annual Meeting of the Regional Fire Schools for the General Assembly will be held at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford on Monday, February 6th, 2017 at 1pm in room 1B.
See the agenda below:
Regional Fire Schools
February 6, 2017
1pm – 3pm
- Welcoming remarks by Rep. Orange
- Remarks from invited Guests
- Vaughan Dumas, President of CT State Firefighters Association
- History/Update Regional Fire Schools by Al Hawkins, Education Chair for CT State Firefighters Association
- History/Update by DAS Construction Services by Commissioner Melody Currey and Deputy Commissioner Pasquale “Bud” Salemi
- Question/Answer period
We would like our membership to attend and create a strong Fire Service presence at this annual meeting. Please attend if you can in Class A uniform. All Connecticut legislators have been invited and Representative Linda Orange will be the legislator coordinating this event.
We ask each of you to reach out as a constituent to your own legislators ASAP and urge them to attend.
Click the following link to view the full CSFA 2017 House Bill Status Report
(Tip: The links in the left column of the above downloadable .pdf will take to the cga.ct.gov website page for each bill where you can access the latest version of the bill.)
Also, we have added several new bills to our House Bill Status Report since our last update.
New bills that we have added to the list of bills we are tracking this session include:
- H.B. 5894 – AN ACT CONCERNING DISBURSEMENTS FROM THE TOBACCO SETTLEMENT FUND AND MONEYS RECEIVED FROM TOBACCO TAXES.
- H.B. 6038 – AN ACT CONCERNING GOOD SAMARITAN PROTECTIONS FOR FIRST RESPONDERS WHO RENDER FIRST AID TO POLICE DOGS.
- H.B. 6039 – AN ACT DEFINING PEACE OFFICER TO INCLUDE TELECOMMUNICATORS.
- H.B. 6042 – AN ACT PERMITTING THE USE OF GRILLS ON OUTDOOR PATIOS AT CONDOMINIUMS.
- H.B. 6043 – AN ACT CONCERNING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS IN CERTAIN BUSINESSES.
- H.B. 6049 – AN ACT CONCERNING ANNUAL INSPECTIONS FOR FIRE DEPARTMENT APPARATUS.
- H.B. 6283 – AN ACT EXPANDING THE “MOVE OVER” LAW FOR VOLUNTEER FIRST RESPONDERS.
- H.B. 6359 – AN ACT INCREASING THE CIGARETTE TAX RATE.
- H.B. 6486 – AN ACT CONCERNING THE MEDICAL TREATMENT OF DOMESTIC ANIMALS BY FIRST RESPONDERS.
- H.B. 6680 – AN ACT CONCERNING THE FUNDING OF MUNICIPAL VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENTS.
- H.B. 6690 – AN ACT ALLOWING EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES PROVIDERS TO CARRY A FIREARM.
- H.B. 6694 – AN ACT REQUIRING A CRIMINAL HISTORY RECORDS CHECK FOR PERSONS WHO ENROLL IN A CLASS FOR CERTIFICATION AS EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES PERSONNEL.
- H.B. 6712 – AN ACT CONCERNING THE ASSAULT OF POLICE OFFICERS, FIREFIGHTERS OR EMERGENCY MEDICAL PERSONNEL.
- H.B. 6715 – AN ACT INCREASING THE PENALTIES FOR THE INTENTIONAL INJURY OR KILLING OF POLICE ANIMALS OR DOGS IN VOLUNTEER CANINE SEARCH AND RESCUE TEAMS.
- H.B. 6717 – AN ACT CONCERNING THE “MOVE OVER” LAW FOR VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS AND EMERGENCY MEDICAL PERSONNEL.
- H.B. 6721 – AN ACT EXPANDING THE “MOVE OVER” LAW FOR VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS AND EMERGENCY MEDICAL PERSONNEL.
- H.B. 6909 – AN ACT CONCERNING WORKERS’ COMPENSATION COVERAGE FOR FIRST RESPONDER DIVE TEAMS AND K9 SEARCH AND RESCUE PERSONNEL.
- H.B. 6915 – AN ACT INCREASING THE PREVAILING WAGE THRESHOLD FOR VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT REMODELING PROJECTS.
- H.B. 6953 – AN ACT RELEASING CERTAIN MUNICIPALITIES FROM LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM FIRE.
- S.B. 156 – AN ACT CONCERNING FUNDS FROM THE TOBACCO AND HEALTH TRUST FUND.
- S.B. 243 – AN ACT CONCERNING MUNICIPAL FIRE APPARATUS SAFETY AND TESTING.
- S.B. 538 – AN ACT APPROPRIATING FUNDS TO THE DEPARTMENT OF EMERGENCY SERVICES AND PUBLIC PROTECTION TO FUND FIRE TRAINING SCHOOLS
- S.B. 763 – AN ACT CONCERNING WORKERS’ COMPENSATION COVERAGE FOR POLICE OFFICERS, FIREFIGHTERS AND EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIANS WITH POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER
To see the full list of proposed bills that we are tracking, see our CSFA 2017 House Bill Status Report.
The most recent notable activity of the bills we are following: February 1, H.B. 5176 referred to Joint Committee Public Safety and Security; January 26, H.B. 5294 change of reference to the Joint Committee on Appropriations; H.B. 5296 referred to the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Security and reserved for Subject Matter Public Hearing; February 2, H.B. 5767 reserved for Subject Matter Public Hearing; February 1, H.B. 6038 referred to the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Security; February 2, H.B. 6043 Reserved for Subject Matter Public Hearing by the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Security; January 30, H.B. 6283 reserved for Subject Matter Public Hearing by the Joint Committee on Transportation, January 24, H.B. 6690 referred to the Joint Committee on Public Health; January 24, H.B. 6694 referred to the Joint Committee on Public Health; January 30 H.B. 6717 reserved for Subject Matter Public Hearing.
Please note that the following Public Hearing dates have been set:
H.B. 5755 – February 10 (Joint Committee on Public Health)
H.B. 6049 – February 6 (Joint Committee on Transportation)
H.B. 6717 – February 6 (Joint Committee on Transportation)
Please contact me if you have any questions or requests related to legislative issues.
The Connecticut State Firefighters Association
49 Midwood Road
Branford, CT 06405
(203) 494-7842 voice and text
(203) 481-1446 fax
CSFA Online 2017